Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ice Cream: More Than a Dessert

When someone says "ice cream," most of the time everyone's eyes widen and their faces brighten. Why is that? What makes ice cream so special, and sets it apart from other desserts?

I have always loved ice cream. I label myself as an infatuate of ice cream. When someone asks what my favorite food is, I succinctly respond, "Ice cream." It is usually shrugged off with a laugh by the inquirer, but is sometimes accompanied by the inquirer saying that they too love ice cream. I'm sure they do, and mean well when they agree with my statement, but I always think quietly to myself, "Do you really?" I mean it when I say it. It is my favorite food, not just a favorite dessert, not just a favorite craving, which always bemuses me. I have come to think that cravings only apply to girls. I rarely hear a man say, "I am really craving ___."How does that work exactly? Does it just hit you while at work on a Friday afternoon, and you think, "Boy, I really want some ice cream right now." And then the rest of your day is spent distractedly in your thoughts of how you're going to cuddle up on the sofa with a pint while watching "Desperate Housewives". I don't think I ever "crave" anything, I just eat. I love ice cream so much that I eat it everyday, and therefore can't imagine what feelings are associated with not having ice cream. And maybe that is why I never crave it; it is always present.

But what is it that makes people melt at the mere mention of it? To me, it is the simple fact that nothing else creates a so-enticing sensation in your mouth that, upon contact, you immediately go, "Mmmmm," or "Whoa."

I've created the Three T's to aptly describe why ice cream is so radical in its must-have-ness: Temperament, Texture, Temperature.

Temperament: this is described in Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, http://east.m-w.com/thesaurus/temperament?show=0&t=1307310089, as one's characteristic attitude or mood. While this is normally applied to humans, I apply it to ice cream. Ice cream is always in a good mood. Ice cream always puts you in a good mood. You cannot be mad and be eating ice cream; it's impossible. It has a perfect temperament: debonair. And it's from this that it derives its creaminess. Its creaminess is unparalleled. This creaminess also correlates with its next attribute.

Texture: ice cream is so serenely smooth in texture that the tongue tingles when the image of it travels through the sensory pathway to the brain. And its this very smoothness that creates the heavenly sensation. The first thing that comes in contact with the ice cream (unless your a 5 year old boy) is your tongue, which is characteristically opposite of that of ice cream. It is the whole opposites attract motif. And I am a believer.

Temperature: the sensation felt when eating ice cream is amped due to it extreme coldness. Ice cream is often served at or just above 0 degrees Fahrenheit, so when this hits the tongue--body temperature: 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit--a unique and marvelous difference in temperatures occurs which creates the elated experience.

It is each of these things that makes ice cream unique and different from all other desserts or treats. I mean, what does a cupcake have on ice cream? Pooft. It's not even sold warm, and the icing is just sugar fluff. I'm not one to line up and stand for 45 minutes for a cupcake. But then again, have you seen those lines lately? I didn't think so. It was a fad. Ice cream has, and never will be, a passing trend. It is an ever-present part of our society. It is a part of my diet. It is more than a dessert. It is an experience.

If you love ice cream, then this is the blog for you. Feel free to post any questions or comments.

2 comments:

  1. Well written and insightful. I look forward to more. I also look forward to more ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Reese, that's exactly how a craving works!

    ReplyDelete